January 2, 2012

Happy New Years....with a quilt!

So, in spite of a cold and sick kitty, I plugged away at my sewing machine, Estelle, all day to attempt to finish piecing my latest creation.  I am working on a pattern by Faith at Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts called Lemon Squares Quilt.  I like this pattern because it pieces together quickly and I am able to feature some of my larger prints in my stash.  And, even though I loved the color combinations that Faith used in her version, I was glad I could put my spin on the quilt and use some of my favorite colors instead.  I was really excited to use some of the fabrics from Rebekah Merkle's collection called "England Swings."  They are fun bright yellows, blues and greens...all the colors I love.



     
Currently, I am working on piecing the back.  I decided to utilize some scraps and make a freeform checkerboard in the middle of the back mixed in with white.  On the top and bottom, I plan on using some green fabrics that are not featured in the checkerboard.  It dawned on me that this may be the quilt that I use to learn to quilt myself.  It is a small lap quilt side and could easily be managed in my machine for an "at home" quilting job.




While I was sewing yesterday, I was being distracted and entertained by my chickens, Berta, Bernice and Phyllis.  They were enjoying the sun and poking around the backyard yesterday.  They really enjoy that we haven't finished the deck yet and use the support beams for perching.



They're hilarious to watch and keep me happy while I sew.  Happy crafting and happy new year everyone!!!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, my little neices are so cute!!!! I finally get to see them ;-) I need to buy them some little pearl necklaces to wear around their necks....seems appropriate, given their old lady names. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I love your quilt top - the fabrics you chose are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete