February 15, 2014

Finally made some clothes!

Hey Gang!

I finally got the gumption to try making some clothing.  I thought I would start with baby clothes because they're small and take a whole lot less fabric to make in case I screw up.  I texted a good friend that made our mutual friend a baby dress that was absolutely adorable.  I wanted to know where to find the pattern.  She kindly texted me the website: Sew Sweet Patterns.  Very easy directions, simple to follow, and lots of sizes represented.....REALLY CUTE patterns.  This is the website for me as they are all easy patterns.  I immediately purchased four patterns and downloaded the instructions.  The next day, I was cutting material and sewing the dress I chose together.  It took only four hours to make the Harper Dress.  I think it turned out really cute and not too bad for a first try!

Harper Dress with Lemon Fabric
Not too bad, eh?  I think I might make a couple more of those!


Feeling confident, I tried another pattern from Sew Sweet Patterns: The Katelyn Romper.  This is the first time I made anything with pants, so I admit I was a bit intimidated.  However, I am really happy with the results.

Katelyn Romper using the English Swings line of fabric
When I posted this article on Facebook, one of my friends suggested that snaps along the pant legs would be easier for diaper changes.  I agreed...so I asked hubby if he could help me modify the pattern to include these helpful snaps for busy moms. So, next time I make this, I will attempt the snaps.

Since I had a bit of time today, I used it to make a new quilt top.  This pattern I found inside the Modern Quilt Workshop book:


I was truly inspired by the cover design: The Zipper Quilt.  I loved the pretty mix of blues and greens.  Plus, it uses a lot of scrap pieces in my stash!  Here is the quilt top:

Zipper Quilt: Inspiration for a friend's new baby
Not too bad for halfway through February!  I am really proud that I have been sticking to my goals for the year.  I can't wait to start more clothes and reducing the massive scrap load that I have been accumulating.  I am really lucky as one of my trainees at work is creating forms for my quilts, jams, and cakes for me to make ordering easier....and hubby even suggested that it might be time we start tracking my inventory and building me a website!  Nice!  Progress!

Until next time.....Happy Crafting!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment